The League Executive met on Tuesday Nov 3 2020 and made the difficult decision to cancel the 2020/21 AOHL hockey season.
Although very disappointing, it was ultimately the right decision in light of current Covid-19 pandemic trends and the challenges / efforts required to establish a safe return to play environment.
The following were the major factors that led us to our decision :
- 50 player cohort would limit divisions to 4 teams
- No players can play in any other league
- A limited amount of ice is currently available on Sunday
- Play would be 4 on 4 (9 players/team)
- Significant adjustment to rules would be necessary to minimize contact on ice
- No assurances that the Town of Ajax will be approving hockey to proceed as of the beginning of January. Potential 10-12 game season.
- Players required to come dressed to the arena.
- Entry to Village arena allowed only 10 minutes before ice time and exit required 10 minutes after games.
- No change rooms.
- Increasing Covid-19 infection rates
- Mandatory contact tracing and quarantining of entire team on a positive test result of an individual
2020 Deposit Refunds – Revised Policy
Every player is entitled to a refund of their deposit.
If you request a refund, it will not impact your status for registration for the 2021/22 season.
The League will do a follow-up in March/April timeframe for all players registered in the 2019/20 season to confirm your status for 2021/22.
To minimize the administration for issuing of refunds, please only request a refund if you do not intend to register for the 2021/2022 season. If you do not request a refund , it will be held for the 2021 season deposit. Players can still make decision during the registration process for 2021/22 for return of their deposit if they choose not to play at that time.
Your League Exec thank you for your understanding and support. We look forward to reconnecting in the spring when we begin our registration for the next season.
Wishing you and your families a safe and healthy winter.